PPP012 - Biosimilars with Dr David Liew
Dan and Jane talk to David Liew, a Rheumatologist and Clinical Pharmacology fellow.
We talk to David about:
- The difference between biosimilars and generic medicines
- What is currently known about the safety and efficacy of biosimilar products
- Implications for pharmacists dispensing biosimilar medicines
· McKinnon R, Ward M. Safety considerations of biosimilars. Aust Prescr: 2016;39:188-9
· NOR-SWITCH study group. Biosimilar Infliximab (CT-P13) Is Not Inferior to Originator Infliximab: Results from a 52-Week Randomized Switch Trial in Norway. ACR/ARHP Annual Meeting Washington 2016. [full results of the NOR-SWITCH study have not been published yet]
· Tomaszewski D. Biosimilar Naming Conventions: Pharmacist Perceptions and Impact on Confidence in Dispensing Biologics. Journal Of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy. 2016;22(8):919-26.